skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Patriots Day and the 2008 Boston Marathon
Monday was Patriots Day in Massachusetts. Ironically, when I first realized this holiday was coming up, I thought it was strange to have a holiday for our football team (New England Patriots) in April. However, much to my embarrassment, it turns out that Patriots Day is in celebration of the first battles of the Revolutionary War. (Of course!) There were re-enactments of the battle held in Lexington and Concord, which I would have liked to witness, but because it was held at sunrise... at 5:30 am... we weren't able to make it. But we did make it to another event held on Monday. 
It was also the day of the Boston Marathon. Wow. It was awe-inspiring. I actually teared up as I saw the leading men and women run past us. The course entered Brookline around mile marker 23. So as the runners came near us, they were near the end. We watched near Coolidge Corner, just a few miles from our home. Sadly, Brandon had to work, so I had to manage the girls and take a few pictures without him. Now that I'm more familiar with the Boston communities, I'll always watch the Marathon in the future with more interest and more perspective. 
3 comments:
Wow! I love how you are taking advantage of all things Boston during your stay. Growing up there, it was easy to take much of it for granted.
p.s. I noticed the bronze ducks from the Commons. Did I already comment earlier on my fondness for McCloskey's books? I love them.
I think the bronze ducks from "Make Way for Ducklings" deserve their own post sometime. Definitely a perfect story to spotlight while we are living here.
Kara, marathons always make me cry too. You just can't help but get choked up at the grueling effort required of a marathon runner. It's something I can't even fathom.
Post a Comment