
One day this summer, the neighborhood kids found a baby quail that appeared to have been abandoned and hurt. So the kids found a box, filled it will leaves, strawberries, sticks, a water dish, a plate of birdseed, and named the bird, "Limps." However, the bird didn't thrive, and it was left up to me (for some reason) to help this bird. I made several calls to vets in the area and was told the only place we could take the bird was to a wildlife station near Ogden.
And since I was not going to drive to Ogden, we called Grandpa Bond for some advise. For as long as I can remember, he has always been the go-to person with an abandoned animal question..... And he told the girls what we had thought all along..... if the bird didn't get better and fly away, the bird would probably die.
So, sadly after a day of watching and over-mothering the bird, the bird finally passed on. A nice grave was prepared in the neighbor's backyard, and the girls were able to learn a valuable lesson about death and create great memories.
I think right now, there is a container of grass-hoppers on my front porch. On to the next adventure!



No comments:
Post a Comment