After the aquarium, we walked over to Faneuil Hall for dinner and had a delicious Beard Papa cream puff for dessert. It was a cold day in the 30's (I am NOT looking forward to the cold winter, here in New England)! Elle was also adamant about NOT wearing her coat during part of the day, so that was a not a highlight. I felt like a terrible mother letting my two-year-old run around outside in the cold.... but she was happy has ever. It had been a fun day.
Monday, November 12, 2007
New England Aquarium
The Brookline and Boston public libraries offer residents and those holding a library card Museum Passes to local museums. It is so great! Sometimes the pass covers the cost of admission. Other times, one has to pay a small amount in comparison to the regular price of admission. Saturday we took advantage of one Museum Pass and visited the New England Aquarium. Lauren and Elle loved everything, especially touching the real star fish and sea urchins in the "Edge of the Sea" exhibit. They had an enormous turtle that I thought was great.
On our way, we visited a favorite local Italian restaurant, Galleria Umberto, in the North End for lunch. This eatery is known for excellent Italian food - pizza, calzones, etc., for cheap. It also closes around 2:30 or whenever the food runs out. It rarely has tourists, and the locals love it.
After the aquarium, we walked over to Faneuil Hall for dinner and had a delicious Beard Papa cream puff for dessert. It was a cold day in the 30's (I am NOT looking forward to the cold winter, here in New England)! Elle was also adamant about NOT wearing her coat during part of the day, so that was a not a highlight. I felt like a terrible mother letting my two-year-old run around outside in the cold.... but she was happy has ever. It had been a fun day.
After the aquarium, we walked over to Faneuil Hall for dinner and had a delicious Beard Papa cream puff for dessert. It was a cold day in the 30's (I am NOT looking forward to the cold winter, here in New England)! Elle was also adamant about NOT wearing her coat during part of the day, so that was a not a highlight. I felt like a terrible mother letting my two-year-old run around outside in the cold.... but she was happy has ever. It had been a fun day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
happy to hear we are having the same issues. alli hates her coat and seeing how we are in the same city, we are getting all the same looks.
Kara-
Amber told me you moved to the Boston area. I grew up outside of Boston. You may have heard of my hometown, Woburn. It has the dubious honor of being one of the most toxic cities in America. The true story behind the movie "A Civil Action" took place there--not just in my town... but in my NEIGHBORHOOD. How's that for fifteen minutes of fame?
Reading your blog is a glorious revisitation of every elementary school field trip I ever had. (Although it looks like you have yet to make it to the Museum of Science. That would make your field-trip-rotation complete. All in good time, I'm sure.) It is really fun to see all the history and undeniable beauty of the area. Your photos are wonderful.
I'll be sneaking peeks at your adventures... and living vicariously through them. And I'll be more than a little jealous when your cute family inevitably makes its way to Martha's Vineyard.
-Melissa McDonald
Grace's mom (by way of further identification!)
Hey Melissa -
It's great to hear from you! I have heard of Woburn... Also, we are definitely planning a trip to the Museum of Science! We have actually made it to the Childrens Museum and to Stow, MA for apple picking, as well. These had to be on your school field trip list. Do you ever come back to visit?
Well, yes, I have to admit my actual field trip list was much longer. And some sites seemed to get repeat visits over the years. (I've seen the USS Constitution more times that is likely necessary. The necessary number being once. The actual number being, like, six.)
I long for the Boston Children's Museum since Sacramento is inexplicably void of one entirely. And, the Boston Museum of Fine Arts is one of my favorite places ever.
We have not been back East in a very long time... especially since my mother (our last New England hold-out) finally moved West to be closer to her grandchildren.
My 20th high school reunion (gulp!) is in two years. We'll go back then... and the kids will be good ages for the very things you've been doing with your own girls. Heck, who knows? Maybe I'll even make them board the USS Constitution!
Even though your blog is now a source of nostalgia for me... I am a truly converted California girl. I want to continue to wear flip-flops in otherwise inappropriate months like January. And I never want to feel the need to "warm up" my car again.
And just as I'm an adopted Californian, I'm sure you'll become more and more of a New Englander as you enjoy your time there. I do, however, beg of you to never start pronouncing my name "Melisser." (Seriously, the Bostonians are so stubborn about their accents! Just wait until you start noticing a correlation between the accent and an inability to spell.)
Keep in touch! And thanks for sharing your experience. The girls are SO cute. (And they are getting so big! From Lauren's t-shirt I noticed that she shares Grace's devotion to High School Musical. Check out my blog for pictures of Grace as Gabriella for Halloween.)
-Melissa
p.s. Now that you've been making your way around New England, go check out all the Robert McCloskey books for your kids. "Make Way for Ducklings" is, of course, a classic. But I love "Blueberries for Sal" and "One Morning in Maine."
Sorry for the ultra long comment. I'm clearly obnoxious.
Post a Comment