Sunday, March 9, 2008

Learning to Read


Ever since Lauren was a toddler, I have loved reading to her.   We would go the library almost every week to check out new books.  We have also been able to collect a nice library of books of our own.  There is something so wonderful about having a new book.... especially a brand new book.  


At night, the girls (and now Elle is included in our reading time, of course)  are able to pick out books for me to read to them before bedtime.  It is a great time to quiet down and get to spend time with them without other interruptions.  I love the questions they ask while I'm reading that tells me they are REALLY listening to the story.  


Lauren is now in Kindergarten and has been learning to read on her own this year.  It has been so fun watching her begin to understand "How" to read.  She has really done so well.  It is so exciting to me as her mother!


A few months ago, Lauren selected this Dick and Jane book out from our public library.  She had just started to sound out words and recognize some "sight" words being taught at school.  She had so much fun (even though I thought the idea of having a "Dick and Jane" book old-fashioned and kind of boring).  A few weeks later she was so sad when we had to return the book.... because she loved the idea that she could read!  A few days ago, we were at the library once again, and Lauren wanted to check out this book.  This time, she has been able to read everything and understands what she is reading.  I realize this is a very "Easy Reader," but learning to read and ENJOYING to read is so important.  This is her first step.


"Go Lauren Go! Said Mother."  

4 comments:

Amber said...

Way cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kara! I picked up a book years ago at Goodwill. It is called "Five in the Family" It is a 1956 school reader. My kids LOVE that book. Emma and Thad still read it over and over again. It has chapters all about what this family does...even health/nutrition stuff. (How to get enough milk, veggies, how to prevent a cold, hygiene, timeless things as well as outdated stuff that is fun to talk about, like the whole family going for smallpox vaccinations) It is great fun for me to teach them about why the kids need some vaccinations, but we all don't need certain ones anymore. (ok, I am a nerd) Anyway, it is a great book. Best 99 cents I ever spent. Now I look for old readers at every antique store or Goodwill type place I go to. I have picked up 3 or 4 more that the kids love too. They are simple stories, but the kids really relate to them and love the real life situations. I guess maybe it is not so bad to have the kids relate better to a 1956 family than to some of issues that are presented in books now. Thad is having touble on his reading tests, because he goes slow and sounds out each word still. He doesn't get that if you know that word, you don't have to sound it out anymore. One thing we have done is to read the same chapter of one of these books every night for a week. It sounds boring, but by the end of the week, he knows those words down pat and doesn't slow down as much. Shari

sacramentostakeclerk said...

I think when you are a reader yourself, you always have a hope that your kids will love it the way you do. It really is a vicarious pleasure to see them love books...

p.s. That picture of the girls in the black dresses is SO very cute.

Kara said...

Thanks Shari,

So good to hear from you! I will have to look into these vintage books.... they aren't boring afterall! Lauren would love them.