Friday, September 19, 2008

Canning with Grandma


I have such positive memories of growing up in Rexburg.  I especially loved the summer.  My family always had a large garden with plenty of corn, potatoes, peas, carrots, beans, zucchini, and an occasional pumpkin.  While I will admit that Mom and Dad did most of the work, we kids definitely remember many mornings of planting, weeding, picking, shucking corn, snapping beans, etc.  When it was harvest time, we would help in canning or freezing our bountiful supply. 

It was a lot of work, but having a garden is such positive thing for a family to work on together.  And because of our efforts, we had "fresh" veggies all summer, winter, spring, and fall.  Before I was living on my own, I had never knowingly eaten veggies from a can bought from a store.  It has literally taken me years to buy canned corn (my Mom is cringing right now).  


So while we were home this summer, the beans "were on."  Dad picked the beans from the garden, snapped off the ends and my Mom started to bottle the beans.  Elle was VERY interested in what was going on (Lauren was interested for about five minutes).  She helped pack each of the bottles with beans and loved working in Grandma's kitchen.


I hope that Brandon and I will work on having a garden once we buy our own home.  I don't know, do people have gardens any more?

4 comments:

sacramentostakeclerk said...

I'm sad because Garett just tore down our garden box. I think he was sick of the work... and we always yielded such mixed results. And even though I never so much as lifted a finger to help with the garden box, I'll miss the times we actually did get something good from it! I totally think you should have a garden...

I love the first photo there... the one with Elle's little hand putting the beans in the cup. It makes me want to learn how to take better pictures. (But then I assume I would need a much better camera? It's a viscous circle.)

sacramentostakeclerk said...

And, um, yeah... the word I meant there was "vicious."

You can all give me a big "Duh, Melissa" right about now.

Stephanie Pulham said...

I wish I could have a garden, at least for some tomatoes, but Boston... well you know.

Kristen said...

I think I will put in a garden for next summer...if I can convince Pete to let me tear up some of the grass.