Wednesday, October 22, 2008

It's Autumn Time

My favorite season of the year is fall. I love it when the weather cools and you start to actually FEEL fall in the air. I love pumpkin cookies and pumpkin bread. I would rather wear a jacket than shorts any day. I love it when the girls can wear cute tights with their skirts. The start of fall also means that certain favorite holidays are near.... my birthday, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving, and then Christmas. 

A really fun part about being a parent is experiencing holidays with your kids. It's like being a child again and being able to enjoy the kids' activities all over. For example, I have no desire to dress up for Halloween, but I love seeing my girls in their costumes and I can't help but share their trick-or-treat candy!

Yesterday I noticed how covered our lawn was with leaves. It was literally inches deep. A very large tree that sits on the edge of our lawn and the road has shed millions (is that possible?) of leaves onto our yard, the road, and the neighborhood. I think I really paid attention to this because the neighboring condo community had their lawn crew out cleaning up. They had their air blowers and made their property look so nice. I don't think there was one leaf left on the ground. However, there was literally a straight line of leaves that marked the beginning of our property.


So I thought that the girls would have fun raking leaves after school. We had a fun time raking the leaves and making a large pile. We then bagged the leaves and decided that was not too fun. Elle "helped" rake and then decided to play horsey with her rake. Lauren was actually a HUGE help. I was very impressed! However, complaints started as we neared the end. I'm not sure if she will be as excited about this activity the next time I ask her to help.  

The sad part is we haven't done the back yard, and today there are almost as many leaves as we raked yesterday. Maybe a large wind storm will blow our way.  We can only hope.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow...that really was a lot of leaves. I would have left it for the wind...or snow to cover up. I don't envy you...Pete just uses a leaf blower!!! HAHA

Kara said...

ARGH.