Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Newport, Rhode Island


One place that we have been meaning to visit is Newport, Rhode Island.  We wanted to fit in this daytrip before we moved, and we were able to make the 1 and 1/2 hour drive to Newport on Saturday.  I was really excited about this day.  

Newport is a beautiful historic town on the coast of RI (the ocean state).  It is known for the amazing mansions built in the late 1800's and early 1900's and for yachting.  The International Tennis Hall of Fame is also in town.  
We ate lunch at "The Black Pearl," which wasn't that great, but was in a fun location on the wharf.  It came recommended, so maybe we ordered the wrong things.  
One of the mansions we visited was "The Breakers."  This was the summer home of the Vanderbilt family.  We weren't able to take photos inside, but if you can imagine, think Versailles in the US.  Amazing!
The "home" is located right on the coast.  This view of the home is the back facing the ocean. 
Here are the girls at the second mansion we visited, The Elms.  

I loved this tree on the grounds, and the photo B took.  This may be corny, but I can't help but think of geneology trees and the many branches this family would have!
We had another fun day.  I wish we could have spent another day there.  Sadly, our camera ran out of batteries, so we were limited to the photos we took.  I think Brandon secretly wants to get back there to take more photos.  Maybe there will be more to come....

No comments: